This master’s degree course originated from the need to provide a high level of cultural expertise in non-European socio-professional contexts and it aims to train professionals with appropriate technical and language skills to work in the Arab and Islamic world and in China and language mediators capable of working as translators or linguists in the most various fields (ranging from trade to international diplomacy, scientific research and import export).
The Foundation has placed twenty scholarships at the disposal of students (fifteen of which fully cover tuition fees and five partially cover said fees) and candidates are selected on the basis of qualifications, language skills and an interview in the presence of the Assessment Committee.
The master’s degree course includes lectures, assisted teaching labs, conferences, internships and a final examination. In particular the lectures and laboratories are divided into the following modules:
- Laboratory of English Language (advanced)
- Laboratory of Arabic Language (basic and advanced)
- Laboratory of Chinese Language (basic and advanced)
- Written and Oral Linguistic Mediation – English (advanced)
- Written and Oral Linguistic Mediation – Arabic (basic or advanced)
- Written and Oral Linguistic Mediation – Chinese (basic or advanced)
- History and Civilization of the Far East
- Islamic History and Institutions
- History of Religions
- Laboratory of Computer Science Applied to Translation
- International Law
The master’s degree course differs from the traditional academic training in Oriental Cultures and Languages by virtue of the number of activities and respective ECTS credits purposely dedicated to linguistic and intercultural mediation between the Italian and a foreign language.
In this regard, great importance is attached to the work experience included in the degree programme, for which various public and private, national and international organizations are contacted yearly to enter into internship agreements (Venice Biennale, Istituto degli affari Internazionali, Istituto Italiano di Cultura of Edinburgh, Fondazione Italia Cina, Istituto per l’Oriente etc.).